Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree! Oh Christmas Tree around the world

The Capitol Christmas tree in Washington, D.C., is decorated with!cid_001b01ca79ad$942869a0$7901a8c0@Membership 3,000 ornaments that are the handiwork of U.S. schoolchildren. Encircling evergreens in the 'Pathway of Peace' represent the 50 U.S. states.

 

 

The world's largest Christmas tree display rises up the slopes of Monte Ingino outside of Gubbio, in Italy's Umbria region. Composed of about 500 lights connected by 40,000 feet of wire, the 'tree' is a modern marvel for an ancient city.!cid_001c01ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

 

!cid_001d01ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

A Christmas tree befitting Tokyo's nighttime neon display is projected onto the exterior of the Grand Prince Hotel Akasaka.

 

 

!cid_001e01ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@MembershipIlluminating the Gothic facades of Prague's Old Town Square, and casting its glow over the manger display of the famous Christmas market, is a grand tree cut in the Sumava mountains in the southern Czech Republic.

 !cid_002001ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership Moscow celebrates Christmas according to the Russian Orthodox calendar on Jan. 7. For weeks beforehand, the city is alive with festivities in anticipation of Father Frost's arrival on his magical troika with the Snow Maiden.  He and his helper deliver gifts under the New Year tree, or yolka, which is traditionally a fir.

!cid_002101ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

The largest Christmas tree in Europe (more than 230 feet tall) can be found in the Pra�a do Com�rcio in Lisbon, Portugal.  Thousands of lights adorn the tree, adding to the special enchantment of the city during the holiday season.

!cid_002201ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

'Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree': Even in its humblest attire, aglow beside a tiny chapel in Germany's Karwendel mountains, a Christmas tree is a wondrous sight.

 

 

 

!cid_002301ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@MembershipOoh la la Galeries Lafayette! In Paris, even the Christmas trees are chic. With its monumental, baroque dome, plus 10 stories of lights and high fashion, it's no surprise this show-stopping department store draws more visitors than the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower

 !cid_002401ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

In addition to the Vatican's heavenly evergreen, St. Peter's Square in Rome hosts a larger-than-life nativity scene in front of the obelisk.

 

!cid_002501ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@MembershipThe Christmas tree that greets revelers at the Puerta del Sol is dressed for a party. Madrid's two-week celebration makes millionaires along with merrymakers. On Dec. 22, a lucky citizen will win El Gordo (the fat one), the world's biggest lottery.

 

 

 

!cid_002701ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

Drink a glass of gluhwein from the holiday market at the Romer, Frankfurt's city hall since 1405 and enjoy a taste of Christmas past.

 

 

!cid_002801ca79ad$942d4ba0$7901a8c0@Membership

Against a backdrop of tall, shadowy firs, a rainbow trio of Christmas trees lights up the night (location unknown).

I would love to say that I have visited all of these places and taken all of these pictures but……

that would be…..fibbing

It is wonderful to see how Christmas trees are all so different and decorated so differently all around the world.

One thing they all have in common is

No matter where they are standing, the meaning is the same….

my tree….is up….and adorned too….I love it!

15 comments:

Jackie said...

I LOVE your header...what a smile it brings to me.
And....those are some magnificent trees!!! Wonderful blog, my friend.
I'll be back....to read more!!!
Smiles from Jackie

Jackie said...

I came baaaaaaack. (Told you I would...) I wanted to take in all the text that went with the photos....amazing, Linda.
Our cousins (in Spain) participate in the El Gordo on Dec. 22. (They always wish they would win...but after years and years and years of playing, I wish they had the money that they played in the lottery....) :))
My Grandaddy was born in Portugal...but I have never been there. He was from the Azores.
I love all these photographs of the trees. I couldn't pick a favorite.. The unique one is the building that lights up and looks like a tree...and the ahhhhh one is the last one (to me.)
Thank you for sharing these beauties!
Hugs,
Jackie

Pat said...

Your header's a hoot, I love it!

I love all these pictures of Christmas trees, but my favorite is the little humble one in Germany. Maybe because that is where my Fathers ancestors came from, but I also love the simplicity of it - it doesn't outshine the reason for the season..the birth of Jesus.
What a glorious time of the year!

imac said...

What a wonderful post and great pics.
Christmas trees all over the world unite.

Eileen said...

The banner picture makes me smile!

And I loved all the Christmas trees around the world, but I think I love best the little one beside the tiny chapel in Germany. Such an endearing picture!

Thanks for sharing these.
Love to you,
Eileen

Mar said...

How cute that little Christmas Elf is. I enjoyed all the pics of Christmas trees around the world. The commentary on each one was great. I now know more about the world and that's always a good thing. Thanks. Mar.

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, what a treat! Christmas around the world. I have to say I am partial to that little chapel in Germany - that's my style!

Scriptor Senex said...

What a wonderful post, Linda. I shall be sending my readers your way in a day or so.

Jerelene said...

Hello Linda!
I love all the pics of the trees from all over the world and the story that goes with each one..
I actually love the purple looking one in Moscow..that and the last one...very, very pretty!
Thanks for sharing all of them!
Love you....Jerelene

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

So where's the pic of your tree?

Mine's not up yet. Too busy to care and no where to put it with the new puppy. I will have to divise a plan soon or the grandkids will be dissappointed!
Love ya

Barb said...

Now you need to take a picture of yours - the best of all! Your Header is just Great!

Claudia said...

Hi Linda
Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi... I dont have the typical blogger "follower" but if you go to my site... top left had side bar you can follow by email.

I have became a followr of you and look forward to the treats you have in store for us.

Thanks so much for brightening my day!

Claudia ♥ ♥

Judy Nebeker said...

Love the post Linda. Your blog is always so fun to visit. You should add a picture of your own Christmas tree. I bet it's beautiful! See ya at work tomorrow.

Judy

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, you went out of your way in research to do this post! Thanks for sharing! A Christmas tree, a beacon of light and hope...

Eileen said...

Hi, Linda, just stopping by because I read a comment you left on another blog and I just want you to know that I will keep you in my prayers.

Love to you,
Eileen